Most visited articles. A separate building for Junior School, for Grades 1–5, was built in 1964. Until 1933, the school enforced a rule that separate boarding houses should exist for Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs.  It is in the old and historical Punjabi city of Lahore. notable figures and politicians e.g. On 13 November 1886, a few days after the foundation stone of Chiefs College was laid, the school was renamed Aitchison College. Add new page. Construction of the main building, now known as Old Building, began in 1887 and was finished in 1890, along with a gymnasium and a hospital.
In 1905, ACOBA (Aitchison College Old Boys Association) was established to allow the alumni of the school to compete against the current students in an event that brought together the alumni each year. The school also offers several extra-curricular activities and awards. The building was designed by Bhai Ram Singh and built by Sir Ganga Ram, one a leading architect and the other a leading builder of that time. North Mian Meer Road was initially selected as the new site for Chiefs College and collaboration between Bhai Ram Singh, Vice Principal of Mayo School of Arts and Colonel Sir Samuel Swinton Jacob, Executive Engineer at Jeypore came up with an architectural design for the college. Even at its beginning, the college was designed to have a science laboratory, library and museum besides classrooms and amenities for students. 258,365 Pages. An elitist institution not accessible to the general public, The Aitchison College at Lahore was established in 1886 as a school to teach and educate the sons of chiefs and nobles, the elites under the British colonial rule. A legacy left behind by the Brits. Classes for grades 9–13 were shifted from the main building to the newly constructed Barry Block (Senior School) in 1948. Today, these elites have been replaced by a new class of people but Aitchison college remains inaccessible to the general public. Construction on other buildings continued as the school attracted more wards and princes. On 3 November 1886, the Viceroy Earl of Dufferin and Ava laid the foundation stone of the main building. Aitchison College (Urdu: ایچیسن کالج) is an independent, semi-private boys school for boarding and day students from grade 1–13 in Lahore, Pakistan.
Aitchison College has also changed its building make-up over the years.
Because of this seamless history from the "Wards School" to the "Chiefs' College" to the "Aitchison College" the school is arguably 150 years old in 2018.
A year later, training in cricket, football, field hockey, and tennis was started. The present constitution of Aitchison College is still based on the set of rules framed for the Wards' School. The school follows a curriculum designed to culminate in the International General Certificate of Education and AS Level/A Level qualifications and is geared towards preparing students for university education. This one's for you "AC-20" The Aitchison College is Pakistan's most prestigious school and college. L. F. Loveday Prior "Punjab Prelude", London: John Murray, 1952. general public. This page was last edited on 2 November 2020, at 17:54. The school also has a history of providing religious education and housing. A number of modern buildings were constructed on the campus near the end of the 20th century, including an amphitheater, a large library, computer and science laboratories, housing for staff members, a riding school, and squash and basketball courts. Following this policy, a separate house, Jubilee, was established for day boys.
The institute is one of only two Cambridge Examination Centres situated in a schools (other one is Chand Bagh School) , also being a member of G20 Schools of the World. more, Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Lahore, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites. Following the independence of Pakistan in 1947, Muhammad Ali Jinnah was appointed Patron in Chief of the college in 1948. A separate building for the Preparatory School, which now holds classes for grades 7–9, was constructed in 1915, and the prefects system was established two years later. Swimming facilities were developed in 1923 and the Rani of Mandi Cup was established to honor the best swimmer of the year. The history of Aitchison College goes back to the Ward's School at Ambala Cantonment which was envisioned in 1864 by Captain Tighe, then D.C. of Ambala. The college was formally inaugurated by the Viceroy, the Earl of Dufferin and Ava on 3 November 1886.